In 1929, E.E. Gailey opened The Gay Theatre, and sold it to the March brothers in 1942. The theater went through varying degrees of remodeling, and in 1992 was split in two to provide a second screen, which had the name, The March Twin. Sadly, in April of 2009 after 79 years of being open for service, the theater closed its doors.
Realizing the need for quality cinema in their town, a group of people, with the assistance of the Wayne Area Economic Development group, raised funds to revitalize the theater. It was important that the new Majestic Theatre remained accessible to everyone in the community.
In August of 2009, deconstruction began. Volunteers worked tirelessly into the winter on the demolition and in the Spring of 2010, reconstruction began. Fast forward into the summer, after a new marquee was installed and new seats chosen, it was now time to ask the community to vote on the theater name. The choices the community had to choose from were: The Chanticleer, The Legacy, The Brookdale, and The Majestic. The Majestic handily beat all others.
It was decided that The Majestic Theatre open as a 501(c) (3) non-profit and on December 10th 2010, The Majestic Theatre opened its doors with an afternoon of free movies for all. Since then, we have remained committed to bringing affordable entertainment to our community and hope to continue to do so for many years to come.